Breakfast Nibbles: Chocolatey Overnight Oats with Strawberries
Happy Valentines Day! For me, Valentine’s Day is all about chocolate. What better way to start off the day than breakfast with chocolate? I’ve been obsessed with overnight oats lately, so I decided to experiment with making a chocolate version. Kath Eats Real Food has a great post dedicated to overnight oats. She has breakfast oats down to an art, and her photos of different oatmeal breakfasts sure make my mouth water. Here was my crack at making chocolate overnight oats:
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 TBS cocoa powder
- 1/2 TBS chia seeds
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 3 large strawberries, sliced
- Mix all the ingredients, except for the strawberries.
- Place a bit of the oatmeal batter into a jar or other airtight container. Add slices of strawberries on top. Add another layer of oatmeal batter and strawberries. Top with the remaining oatmeal batter.
- Put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place your favorite toppings on the overnight oats. I decided to put some cacao nibs on the top to add some crunch. Coconut flakes, berries, or nut butter are also wonderful additions!
- Old nut butter jars work very well for overnight oats.
- You can also blend in a half of a banana into the oat mixture. That’s what I do usually, but I decided not to add the banana this time as I already included strawberries in the oatmeal.